Conflict is inevitable in relationships because two people have different needs, opinions, and wants. However, healthy couples have good will, talk things over, and return to feeling loving and close. On the other hand, there are relationships where conflict is more often the case or where one or both individuals bury their differences to accommodate the other. In the long run, this compromises closeness and leads to resentment.
If you’re wondering whether to seek couple’s counseling, here are a few signs that it would be helpful:
- Having the same argument that never gets resolved
- Lack of communication or affection
- Sustained resentment by either partner
- One partner is trying to change or control the other
- Verbal or emotional abuse (ordering, blaming, undermining, putdowns, withholding)