RD&T contributing author, Marlene Watson-Tara, shares the Hormone Balancing Food Plan for the Macro Vegan Program.
The Hormone-Balancing Food Plan
- Eat at least three meals a day, plus two snacks.
- Focus on portion sizes, not calories, and make sure to chew well. Maintain a constant blood sugar level.
- Eat natural foods rich in phytoestrogens.
- Include good sources of vegetable protein, like tofu, tempeh, and seitan.
- Drink filtered water, fresh vegetable juices, kukicha, sencha green tea, herbal teas, medicinal teas, and Marlene’s Magic Mineral Broth (see recipe in Module 6).
- Cooked Foods
- Lightly cooked fresh vegetables
- Dark green leafy vegetables
- Sprouted seeds, such as alfalfa and mung beans
- Fresh green salads
- Pickled foods, such as sauerkraut
- Colorful fruits in season
- Almonds, walnuts, sunflower, pumpkin, and sesame seeds
- Kidney and other types of beans
- Shitake and maitake mushrooms
- Miso, shoyu, and tamari
- Whole grains
- Soba and udon noodles
- Naturally sweetened desserts (occasionally) using barley malt or rice syrup
- Go organic
- Use good fats and oil
Eliminate the Following Foods
- Refined carbohydrates
- Processed foods
- alcohol and caffeine
- Non-organic fruits and vegetables
- MSG/soy sauces
- All commercial seasonings
- Coﬀee (try grain-based)
- Sugar-laden drinks